Monday 13 December 2010

Hello

My name is James. Welcome to this Blog. In June I am running to Rome for Wateraid.

I have always enjoyed testing myself physically and mentally.When I was 16 I began training in MMA which gave me an excellent platform to give me my adrenaline fix. At 19 I embarked on an expidition across the globe with my friend Max, starting from London and ending in a police car in Singapore (Its a long story).
We managed to travel the world with very little money. We landed in Sydney with around 7 dollars to our name and managed to survive until our next flight a month later! (with thanks from donations from our loving parents of course!)
In October I was sitting in my room pondering over a recent documentry I watched regarding the state of third world debt. I had seen many of these  types of documentries before but for some reason, this time, something awoke inside me. I had the sudden urge to get off my overfed, pampered student behind and attempt to do something about our messed up planet!
Two days later I was pondering what to do when I fell asleep and had a dream where the idea of running to Rome for charity came to me. I awoke and the rest is history!
I am running to Rome, from London in June for Water aid. Clean Water is extremely easy to access in the UK yet it is something virtually unattainable for a significant part of the worlds population.
We have been so lucky to have been raised in an enviroment where we can drink whenever we feel the slightest pang of thirst. I want to embark on this challenge to test my body to the extreme by running over a thousand miles in temperatures of over 30 degrees for 8 weeks, I am doing this because I want to be humbled and made appreciative of how important water is for our survival.
I will not be alone as always my good friend Maxwell Hannah will join me in this quest. We have both gone around the world together travelling and we managed to survive  long spells in each others company in bad conditions without killing each other!
We hope that we will have some company on this run. However this is no sponsored walk. Each member of the team will have to carry with them a potential minimum weight of 10kg whilst running a virtual marathon every day for 8 weeks (20 miles a day). Conditions will be hot and luxuries such as baths and a bed will be few and far between. This is a test of human character and we will be carrying the hopes of many people who have invested into us completing the run in a blistering time!  
I would consider myself fit at this present time, however in order to complete this quest I and the rest of the team will have to reach a stage of fitness simular to a Commonwealth games long distance runner. That is why, from January the 3rd a regime of training will be implemented which will give us the physical and mental stamina to complete this task.
I cannot guarantee that we will complete the run in 8 weeks. But I can guarantee that the only things that will prevent us from stepping foot into Rome will be death or serious injury. I have never surrendered to a challenge before and I will not surrender to this challenge knowing that hundreds of people across the world will be able to have access to clean accesbile water for the rest of there lives by setting foot into Rome.

No comments:

Post a Comment